Monday, February 7, 2011

Palm Springs, I Heart You!

Palm Springs has become my favorite getaway destination in Southern California.  People have long equated PS with old people/gay people/old gay people, but despite that (just kidding, I love the gays) it's super relaxing, fun, and just has a certain je ne sais quoi about it.



(Above) Martini Weekend, David's vacation rental.  It's a Mid-Century Modern Alexander with a saline pool (the only kind I will swim in) and a view of the mountains.







(Above) Palm Springs Tennis Club.  This hidden oasis is practically built into the mountain.






(Above) The Ace Hotel, Palm Springs' hipster haven.  Amazing cocktails, young, hip crowd, very cool hotel.  It's like you never left LA.






(Above) The Del Marcos Hotel.  Kitschy, Mid-Century hotel designed by William Cody.  One of my all-time favorites.



  
(Above) The lobby at the Parker Meridian.






(Above) Melvyn's.  Favorite lounge.  Full of (70 years+) people who have probably been coming here since they were hip rapscallions in the 50s and 60s.  They have a piano player/lounge singer, a dance floor where old people wile out, and desserts that light on fire.  Melvyn's holds a special place in my heart for some reason.  Maybe it's because David and I love being the youngest people in a bar for once!


So this is some of why I am always in PS.  More to come as I discover more.  And below is one of the best things I have ever seen, and it was in Palm Springs.


No comments:

Post a Comment